[nsp] Finding the bandwith hog

atticus at satanic.org atticus at satanic.org
Thu May 13 15:45:40 EDT 2004

> I have three 3524XL switches connected to a 3640 router, which then
> connects to the Internet.
>
> I am looking for a way to find the switch port/IP address of computers
> that are using the most bandwidth.

Since you mentioned MRTG isn't an option, your best bet is either
mac-accounting ('ip accounting mac ?' in interface config) and then watch
'sh int mac-acco').

Alternatively, enabling the flow cache ('ip route-cache flow' in interface
config) and browsing the results ('sh ip cache flow') will give you a good
look at the actual flows (though unless its a few really big flows chewing
your bandwidth, you'll need to script the output parsing to get anything
useful).

> Right now I telnet to each switch and do a 'show int' and look for which
> switchport has a high 5-minute input rate

if only top-n report functionality were added to switch-IOS.....