[nsp] Finding the bandwith hog

lee.e.rian at census.gov lee.e.rian at census.gov
Thu May 13 17:21:21 EDT 2004

Gert,
I'd agree it was incredibly useful command...  ** IF ** it showed input and
output separately instead of lumping them together.

Hopefully I'm missing something, but the only top-n reports I know how to
do from the CLI on a CatOS switch show the top ports by (input + output)
metric
So ports with
- 100% utilization in and 0% utilization out
- 50% utilization in and 50% utilization out
- 0% utilization in and 100% utilization out
all show up as 50% utilization.

Lee

|---------+--------------------------------->
|         |           Gert Doering          |
|         |           <gert at greenie.muc.de> |
|         |           Sent by:              |
|         |           cisco-nsp-bounces at puck|
|         |           .nether.net           |
|         |                                 |
|         |                                 |
|         |           05/13/2004 04:30 PM   |
|         |                                 |
|---------+--------------------------------->
  |                                                                                                                                             |
  |       To:       atticus at satanic.org                                                                                                         |
  |       cc:       cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net, Burton Windle <bwindle at fint.org>                                                                 |
  |       Subject:  Re: [nsp] Finding the bandwith hog                                                                                          |

Hi,

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 12:45:40PM -0700, atticus at satanic.org wrote:
> > Right now I telnet to each switch and do a 'show int' and look for
which
> > switchport has a high 5-minute input rate
>
> if only top-n report functionality were added to switch-IOS.....

Strongly seconding this.  This is *so* incredibly useful in these "what
the heck is going on and why is everything so slow?" situations...

gert

//www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany
gert at greenie.muc.de