[nsp] Finding the bandwith hog

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri May 14 04:02:34 EDT 2004

Hi,

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 05:21:21PM -0400, lee.e.rian at census.gov wrote:
> I'd agree it was incredibly useful command...  ** IF ** it showed input and
> output separately instead of lumping them together.

Indeed, that's something not-yet-perfect.

> Hopefully I'm missing something, but the only top-n reports I know how to
> do from the CLI on a CatOS switch show the top ports by (input + output)
> metric
> So ports with
> - 100% utilization in and 0% utilization out
> - 50% utilization in and 50% utilization out
> - 0% utilization in and 100% utilization out
> all show up as 50% utilization.

I rarely use the percent utilization rate, but the "top bytes" counter
(or "top packets").

This doesn't give me in/out direction either, but as I know where my
trunk ports are, and which ports are customer / upstream router facing,
it is still quite helpful in cases where you already know the direction
("why is this router ingress interface suddenly showing 50 Mbit/s.
more than usual input rate?").

But then, this is a typical small-sized-ISP network, and most of the time,
most of the ports hardly make any traffic at all, so those peaks stand out
pretty well.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de