[nsp] 7500 or 7600

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Fri May 14 03:58:56 EDT 2004

> > Does anyone have experience with a 7600 with a enhanced flexwan versus a
> > 7500 with a vip6-80? Which one can push more packets? We need the
> > ability to push about 140k packets through some ds3s, and I'm curious
> > which one is more capable. Also, which bus has more capacity for
> > packets, a 7500 or a 7600?
>
> The 7600 is by *far* more powerful than a 7500 - it's a 10 years more
> recent design.
>
> For "some DS3's", the 7500 should do quite nicely, though.  The 7600 is
> more in the range of "multiple Gbit/s".

Note that he's talking about FlexWAN. This lets you use standard
7200/7500 PAs on the 7600.  A FlexWAN is much like a VIP except it
has two CPUs instead of one - and forwarding is software based just
like on a VIP.

I would *expect* the enhanced FlexWAN to be more powerful than a
VIP6-80 (mostly because it has two processors), but I only have
experience with the old FlexWAN versus VIP4-80 (and here the
FlexWAN seemed clearly more powerful).

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no