[nsp] Cisco-like CLI interpreter

Mark E. Mallett mem at mv.mv.com
Fri May 14 15:48:21 EDT 2004

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 09:13:33PM +0200, Lajber Zoltan wrote:
> On Fri, 14 May 2004, Rubens Kuhl Jr. wrote:
>

> > Hi.
> >
> > After seeing many non-Cisco devices with Cisco-like CLI interfaces, I'm
> > assuming that it's not patented by Cisco.  Have anyone seen an
> > open-source interpreter that presents a Cisco-like interface, so one can
> > make a home-made device looks more familiar to operations personnel ?

Reminds me of my old "comnd" library written in C which implements
quite a bit of the TOPS20 COMND JSYS functions, including some extra
stuff such as alternate parse paths and guide words.  This was, in
fact, the code library used by Cisco 20 years ago or so when they
produced their first CLI using command completion.  I did a rewrite
and cleanup since that time, and I would bet they did too :-) As fate
would have it, I have lost the rewritten version.

I would also be willing to bet that there are newer and better
implementations of COMND nowadays.  I did know of a couple at one
point, include the one used by "kermit" (ccmd, I think) and at least
one other, perhaps written in Tcl.

mm