[nsp] route-reflector setup questoins

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Tue May 18 21:19:21 EDT 2004

matthew zeier wrote:

> I have a network that's loosely like this:
>
> Boxes
> Lines
>
> A is only connected to B.  I'd like to keep things simple and have A just
> peer with B.  I had configs similiar to below.  However, I noticed that ebgp
> routes learned on A were passed to B but B did not pass to C.  Do A and C
> also need to peer and does A need to be a RR client as well?

For the sake of mention, Cisco Press' BGP Design and Implementation has
some VERY detailed explanation of route reflection rules.  Rather than
(mis)quote it, I'll just recommend the book.  Among other details, they
recommend that your route reflectors be configured with UNIQUE cluster
IDs, not matching IDs.  It's an artifact of the RR rules and best path
computations.

Caveat: I'm one of those crazy wackos who plans for the future and uses
confederations to prepare for future scaling (though route reflectors
might factor into the larger sub-ASes as the network grows).

pt