[nsp] IPv6 Layer-3 capable switch recommendation

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sun May 23 12:54:52 EDT 2004

Hi,

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 10:05:00AM +0200, Mohacsi Janos wrote:
> 	Can you recommend IPv6 Layer-3 capable Ethernet switch? According
> to the latest planning information Cisco 3750 IPv6 capable EFT is planned
> for Q4 CY04 and FCS is targeted for Q1 CY05, that is too late... knowing
> the Cisco scheduling,

As far as I read from the recent discussions, in the Cisco portfolio,
only the 6500/7600 series of L2/L3 switches is IPv6 capable (12.2SX
IOS train).  I don't have any of those to experiment with, so I can't say
how mature the IPv6 code is.

(I'm saving my usual rant about "Cisco L3 switches and marketing", it's
in the archives).

Foundry claims to have IPv6 on their switches, but I have no idea on which
platforms and how well the stuff is working.

Another workable approach could be a L2 only switch, and a 802.1q VLAN
trunk via GigE to a M7i router...  depends on your setup and needs.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de