[nsp] IPv6 Layer-3 capable switch recommendation

Mohacsi Janos mohacsi at niif.hu
Mon May 24 02:56:42 EDT 2004

Hi,

On Sun, 23 May 2004, Gert Doering wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 10:05:00AM +0200, Mohacsi Janos wrote:
> > 	Can you recommend IPv6 Layer-3 capable Ethernet switch? According
> > to the latest planning information Cisco 3750 IPv6 capable EFT is planned
> > for Q4 CY04 and FCS is targeted for Q1 CY05, that is too late... knowing
> > the Cisco scheduling,
>
> As far as I read from the recent discussions, in the Cisco portfolio,
> only the 6500/7600 series of L2/L3 switches is IPv6 capable (12.2SX
> IOS train).  I don't have any of those to experiment with, so I can't say
> how mature the IPv6 code is.
>
> (I'm saving my usual rant about "Cisco L3 switches and marketing", it's
> in the archives).

We are using 6500 with IPv6 for more than half a year. We are happy with
them, except some minor missing features: Netflow v9 and IPv6 multicast
support. I was looking for lower market segment...

> Foundry claims to have IPv6 on their switches, but I have no idea on which
> platforms and how well the stuff is working.
>
> Another workable approach could be a L2 only switch, and a 802.1q VLAN
> trunk via GigE to a M7i router...  depends on your setup and needs.

That is what we are doing now: L2 switch and 801.1q VLANS are
terminated in Cisco 7200 or sometime lower end routers.

Janos Mohacsi
Network Engineer, Research Associate
NIIF/HUNGARNET, HUNGARY
Key 00F9AF98: 8645 1312 D249 471B DBAE  21A2 9F52 0D1F 00F9 AF98