[c-nsp] Dynamic bandwidth sharing

Joe Shen sj_hznm at yahoo.com.cn
Tue Nov 2 06:07:01 EST 2004

Hi,

In our IDC network, Cat2950  and Cat3550 are used as
access switch.

Cat6509(L2+L3) ---- Cat2950(Cat3550) (L2 only) -- ( a
number of servers )

--> traffic in                                   <---
traffic Out

Most of traffic is of out direction.  Usually, cat2950
(cat3550) links to 6509 with one FE and work
at layer2. We want to share this FE uplink between
those servers dynamically, e.g., if all access
interface works at full rate, uplink bandwidth is
shared equally between servers; if some of servers
idles its share of uplink bandwidth could be allocated
to other busy servers, once it needs the bandwidth
borrowed will be returned.

To my experience this could be done at network layer
with CBQ enabled at L3 in uplink interface.
Could we achive similar result at Cat2950/Cat3550
access port ( or uplink ports )? how about situation
of multiple uplinks exist?

If this is not possible, whould you please do some
recommendation?

regards

Joe