[c-nsp] Cisco 837 Series: QoS/Queuing/Shaping Question

Tim Franklin tim at colt.net
Fri Nov 5 06:36:14 EST 2004

cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net wrote:

>> From what I've seen, the default pvc on the 837 is ubr.
> Service policies can only be applied on non ubr pvcs.
>
> Simply change the pvc to something like this...
>
> int atm0
> pvc 0/38
> vbr-nrt 256 256
> service-policy output shape_for_qos
>
> Changing the pvc type only has local significance on the router.

As an aside, you're also doing twice the work you need to (unless you have
other traffic arriving on the router already marked EF that you want to
treat the same as traffic matching ACL 150).

class-map match-all match_voip_dest
 match access-group 150 ! ACL matching Destination PBX
!
policy-map qos_for_voip
 class match_voip_dscp
  priority 128
  set ip dscp ef
 class class-default
  fair-queue
policy-map shape_for_qos
 class class-default
  shape average 248000
  service-policy qos_for_voip
!

and then apply shape_for_qos outbound on the WAN interface, nothing inbound
on the LAN gives you the same results for less CPU.

Regards,
Tim.

____________   Tim Franklin                 e: tim at colt.net
\C/\O/\L/\T/   Product Engineering Manager  w: www.colt.net
 V  V  V  V    Managed Data Services        t: +44 20 7863 5714
                                            f: +44 20 7863 5876