[c-nsp] WIC-4ESW world's smallest Catalyst?

Łukasz Bromirski lbromirski at mr0vka.eu.org
Fri Nov 5 16:20:24 EST 2004

Bradley Urberg Carlson wrote:
> I have need of a really small switch, say 2 10/100 trunk ports to
> separate Catalysts, and one 10/100 uplink to a C3640.  From some
> snippets of config I've seen, it appears as though the WIC-4ESW is a
> sort-of 5-port "Cat-on-a-card," and I was wondering if I might use such
> a WIC in the 3640, instead of using a Catalyst switch external to the
> C3640.

As someone already pointed out, the WIC-4ESW is only supported on 1700 routers.

On 3640 You have option of using NM-16ESW, which is 16 ports 10/100
switch. You'll need IP Plus feature-set. The switching is wire-speed,
inter-VLAN routing will depend on Your CPU resources. Of course You
can do rate-limiting etc. on logical VLAN interfaces.

Considering the cost of NM-16ESW, You can go for either Cat2940,
which won't route, has only 8 ports, can be configured to
do trunking (802.1Q only) and is almost twice cheaper, or buy entire
router (!) cheaper than the network module - 1711 or 1712. It has
WIC-4ESW integrated, along with mounted fifth FastEthernet, and either
analog or ISDN BRI WIC. It has also VPN module, 96MB RAM and software
with firewall, IDS and VPNs. It may be the wisest and most
flexible solution.

--
this space was intentionally left blank    |              Łukasz Bromirski
you can insert your favourite quote here   |          lukasz:bromirski,net