[c-nsp] PIX error using fixup smtp

Brian Feeny signal at shreve.net
Fri Nov 12 16:51:13 EST 2004

ryan,

Please don't pretend to know what your talking about with regards to
fixup smtp by
jacking a reply of someone else who incorrectly stated what it was
doing.

It doesn't send NOOP.  Let me clarify:

PIX 6.3(3) does NOT convert EHLO to NOOP before passing it to the
server.
It converts EHLO to XXXX, which rightfully results in a 502 (5.5.1) as
per RFC821.

I did not come on the list asking some basic question on fixup because
I don't understand
how it works.  Replying with "RTFM" or "its broken" without qualifying
your statement is
not helpful.  Mailguard is an SMTP filter, it handles all 7 SMTP
commands just fine.  It does
not make any claims to handle ESMTP and if you rely on ESMTP then you
will be disappointed
with Mailguard.

It is a feature nonetheless, and it is subject to having bugs, and I
was just trying to get to the bottom
of something I had found, that I thought may be a bug.  Then I start to
get slammed by a few people
coming out of the corners who think I somehow I just discovered "fixup
smtp" and they are going to
give me an education in how it works.

If you think smtp fixup is suppose to handle ESMTP, converts EHLO to
NOOP, or is suppose to drop
a TCP connection on the floor when an unsupported command is entered,
then please click "Next Message"
on your mail client now.  The amount of mis-information thrown around
on this thread is enough to spoil
it for others who google up the archive.

Brian

------
Brian Feeny, CCIE #8036, CISSP    	e: signal at shreve.net
Network Engineer           			p: 318.213.4709
ShreveNet Inc.             			f: 318.221.6612