[c-nsp] PIX error using fixup smtp

Ryan O'Connell ryan at complicity.co.uk
Fri Nov 12 18:13:03 EST 2004

On 12/11/2004 21:51, Brian Feeny wrote:

> Please don't pretend to know what your talking about with regards to
> fixup smtp by
> jacking a reply of someone else who incorrectly stated what it was
> doing.
>
> It doesn't send NOOP.  Let me clarify:

[snip]

As I stated in my original post, it's version-dependant. A quick glance
at the documentation suggests the behaviour changed some time between
6.2 and 6.3.

PIX SMTP fixup implements RFC821 only - RFC821 is obsolete. All
MTAs/MUAs *should* gracefuly fallback to RFC821-only support, but not
all do - so you get problems and mail doesn't get delivered. (In a way,
this is a good thing because a strict RFC821-only implementation can't
do 8BITMIME and other stuff that's generally accepted as the norm these
days. If mail doesn't flow at all, someone will investigate and get it
fixed PDQ rather than muddling along with a crippled system)

It may not be the PIX fixup that's "broken" in that it does what it says
it's supposed to do, but ultimately it's the one causing the problem.

--
         Ryan O'Connell - CCIE #8174
<ryan at complicity.co.uk> - http://www.complicity.co.uk

I'm not losing my mind, no I'm not changing my lines,
I'm just learning new things with the passage of time