[c-nsp] Layer2/3 Question - 6509

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Mon Nov 15 22:35:32 EST 2004

On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 10:22:47PM -0500, Paul Stewart wrote:
> Hi there..
>
> We have a 6509, 7513, and 3640 (in this particular case).
>
> My question may seem stupid but here goes.
>
> On the 6509 we have a bunch of servers all connected to GigE ports.
> Between the 6509 and 7513 we have GigE fiber.  Between the 6509 and 3640
> is FE.
>
> The servers are layer2 only on the 6509 with the actual Layer3 handled
> by the 7513.  If data is being transferred from server to server (same
> VLAN, same subnet) does the traffic actually pass *through* the 7513?

No.

> My reason for asking is that we are looking at moving a few VLAN's over
> to subinterfaces on the 3640 but I need GigE speeds between the servers,
> yet only 30 Mb/s out to the "outside world" which would be the 3640
> possibly.

The only time the router comes in to play is when a device has
to send a packet off the local segment.

I'm assuming you want to make the 3640 the gateway for those
servers when you move the VLANs over.

> Not sure if that made sense but I just don't want GigE to GigE traffic
> actually passing through a FE interface defeating the purpose....

As long as the servers are on the *same* subnet it doesn't touch
the L3 gateway.  If however, you have a trunk to the router and
the traffic is between VLAN's that's a different story.

Rodney