[c-nsp] Question about NAT Rate Limiting

Brian Feeny signal at shreve.net
Tue Nov 16 09:34:21 EST 2004

Rodney,

Yes "all-host" would do what I want.  I assume this feature is working.
  Do you know, if the limit is reached, what is the behavior, do older
entries get prematurely purged, or does attempts to create new entries
just fail and the user must wait for older entries to time out?

I have a customer doing NAT for an entire apartment complex on a 1700
(I know, REALLY bad idea).  One of these users is running some emule
type program that feels it needs to scan the entire internet on a udp
port searching for other emule people.   Its creating translation
entries so fast (udp has default timeout of like 5 min) and consuming
the memory (32MB) before they can start to expire.

I mainly wish to deploy this feature to prevent this user from taking
down the router, and not have to put a global cap on everyone.  To me,
this is more a policy problem and not a technical one, but the
apartment managers aren't dealing with the situation appropriately so I
am trying to work up a technical solution.

Brian