[c-nsp] BGP Community framework

James haesu at towardex.com
Tue Nov 16 00:58:33 EST 2004

On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 10:38:40AM -0600, Brian Feeny wrote:

> Does anyone have any good examples out there of a complete or at least
> mostly complete BGP Community framework?  What I mean, is not just a
> menu showing what communities and what those communities do, but the
> community lists, route-maps, community blocking / clearing, order of
> processing, etc.

This is for an IPv6 setup, but the concept is almost the same.
http://mailman.twdx.net/pipermail/occaid/2004-January/000519.html

> I am getting ready to deploy communities and want to make sure I have
> everything clear in my head so I don't get off on the wrong foot.  I
> have read quite a bit of stuff out there on network wide community
> deployment, but have yet to find something as comprehensive as I would
> like to see, as far as showing actual router configs so I can better
> visualize.

Just my personal opinion, but route-map's give me headaches :)

> I realize most NSP's/ISP's will adopt a customized version of
> communities tailored specifically to their network and things they are
> doing, however the bulk of community deployment seems to have much in
> common.

Once you master the wonders of route-maps, it should be fairly straight forward
to deploy comm's. But I understand what you mean though ;)

HTH,
-J

--
James Jun                                            TowardEX Technologies, Inc.
Technical Lead                       IPv4 and Native IPv6 Colocation, Bandwidth,