[c-nsp] UBR Questions

Paul Stewart pauls at nexicom.net
Thu Nov 18 14:10:09 EST 2004

>Hrm, I have to agree with Michel on this one.  Upgrading to 16-QAM is a
great idea in theory but in reality can be quite scary with respect to
managing your cable plant properly.

Yeah, I've heard this before..:)

>Also, I'm not sure if the built-in RF card in the 7114 can do DOCSIS
2.0.  As far as I know they cannot do A-TDMA or S-CDMA.

Nope.. Unfortunately not but we're some time before going to 2.0 which
is good and bad (depending on how you look at it)..;)

Thanks,

Paul

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 08:12:03 +0100, Michel Renfer <michel.renfer at lan.ch>
wrote:
> Hi all
>
> > Is there any specific RF plant related reason that you have your
> > upstream channel-width set at 1.6MHZ wide? (this is why you
>
> If you change from 1.6 MHz to 3.2 MHz channel width, you will need ~3
> dB more SNR. Check also the transmit power on the cable modem side,
> that they are not to close to the maximum power level (~58 dBmV).
>
> If your cable plant is in a good condition, you can also think about
> the adjustment of the upstream modulation to 16qam.
>
> cheers,
> michel

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former."