[c-nsp] UBR Questions

James Galliford xlimitx at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 14:03:21 EST 2004

Hrm, I have to agree with Michel on this one.  Upgrading to 16-QAM is
a great idea in theory but in reality can be quite scary with respect
to managing your cable plant properly.

Also, I'm not sure if the built-in RF card in the 7114 can do DOCSIS
2.0.  As far as I know they cannot do A-TDMA or S-CDMA.

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 08:12:03 +0100, Michel Renfer <michel.renfer at lan.ch> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> > Is there any specific RF plant related reason that you have your
> > upstream channel-width set at 1.6MHZ wide? (this is why you
>
> If you change from 1.6 MHz to 3.2 MHz channel width, you will need
> ~3 dB more SNR. Check also the transmit power on the cable modem
> side, that they are not to close to the maximum power level (~58 dBmV).
>
> If your cable plant is in a good condition, you can also think about the
> adjustment of the upstream modulation to 16qam.
>
> cheers,
> michel

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and
I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein