[c-nsp] Cisco PA-8T-V35 card and kentrox stand alone csu dsu

Bryan bryan at tec-works.com
Sat Nov 20 02:21:47 EST 2004

Greetings all,

Pretty old technology I know but I'm having some problems, which is
nothing new ;-)

I have the above card plugged into a 06vxr with the special
high-density cable connected to the 8t card and one of the V.35 ends
connected into a kentrox stand alone csu dsu (datasmart 656).  I also have
a cable plugged into the network interface of the csu/dsu and a loopback
plug on the end.

I see the loop on the csu/dsu but the router interface won't come up.
I've looked at cisco's weak docs on it but they aren't much help.  Here is
what i'm seeing on the router:

Serial 1/0             10.0.0.1        YES NVRAM  down    down

interface Serial1/0
 ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.252
 serial restart-delay 0

c7206vxr#sh controller serial 1/0
M8T-V.35: show controller:
PAS unit 0, subunit 0, f/w version 3-101, rev ID 0x2800001, version 3
idb = 0x62B14538, ds = 0x62B16340, ssb=0x62B1667C
Clock mux=0x0, ucmd_ctrl=0x1C, port_status=0xC
Serial config=0x8, line config=0x302
maxdgram=1608, bufpool=32Kb, 64 particles
     DCD=up  DSR=up  DTR=down  RTS=down  CTS=up
line state: down
cable type : V.35 DCE cable, received clockrate 2015232

when i disconnect the v.35 cable from the csu the only status change is
CTS=down so something is talking to it.

Just for grins and to check my csu/dsu for correct operation, I connected
it up to a PA-4T+ w/ a V.35 cable on one end and the special high density
serial cable to the PA-4t+ and BINGO it all came up:

Router#sh controller serial 5/0
M4T: show controller:
PAS unit 2, subunit 0, f/w version 1-45, rev ID 0x2800001, version 3
idb = 0x60A3C7B0, ds = 0x60A3E758, ssb=0x60A50FC8
Clock mux=0x0, ucmd_ctrl=0xC, port_status=0x74
Serial config=0x8, line config=0x200
maxdgram=1524, bufpool=48Kb, 96 particles
     DCD=up  DSR=up  DTR=up  RTS=up  CTS=up

line state: up

The only thing different I see is the 4T+ card is DTE and the 8T-V35 card
is DCE.  I'm not sure exactly what your supposed to configure differently
on the 8T card to make it talk to the csu since it's DCE instead of DTE.
Googling for it didn't help and Cisco's install doc's on the card didn't
seem to shed any light on it either.

any ideas?  is it even possible to hook the kentrox csu/dsu up to the
8T-V35 card?

Thanks in advance,

Bryan