[c-nsp] 7500 / Images w/o ethernet support?

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Sun Nov 21 17:16:44 EST 2004

> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004, Tuc wrote:

> Hmmm, I never checked the hardware selector but it does load and run.
> Perhaps your VIP2s aren't really -40s but only labeled that way?  I
> vaguely recall the differentiating factor between the various VIP2s is the
> amount of DRAM on the board.  If your SIMMs have been moved around those
> may not really be -40s anymore.

All the VIP2s differed only by memory -- SRAM and DRAM --(except for the
VIP2-50 that is entirely different and shows as a "VIP2 R5K" in IOS). The
lowest config was (if I remember correctly) 512k SRAM (in a single SIMM
near the backplane connector) and 8 MB DRAM (in two SIMMs near the lower
edge of the blade as you would insert it in a 7507+). The VIP2-40 had 2 MB
SRAM and 32 MB DRAM, but could be upgraded to 64 MB DRAM.

Regardless of the memory configuration of the VIP2, it should still be
detected and listed in a `show hard`. The only thing I can think of that
would cause problems is if the VIP2 had too little DRAM to hold the
software download from some release of IOS, but I've never heard of that
happening before. Might be worth checking the amount of DRAM on the VIP2's
you have though. The 64 MB upgrades are inexpensive and are probably
worthwhile for most applications.

     -Bill