[c-nsp] Growing BGP tables

David J. Hughes bambi at Hughes.com.au
Mon Nov 22 16:53:09 EST 2004

> The only problem is that aside from being a good netizen, there is no
> incentive for one to do so. If one upstream uses this method but the
> other doesn't, guess which transit provider is going to carry all the
> traffic for said /24s in this example?

Not sure if I'd put this down to being a good netizen.  We currently
have the option to drop any prefixes from the global table that we
like.  I can quite easily drop 202.0.0.0/8 from the tables we receive.
In fact I can choose any arbitrary block of addresses and drop their
prefixes.  Doing so would be foolish as I'd make part of the Internet
unreachable from my network.  Keeping those blocks reachable doesn't
make me a good netizen, it just makes me sane.  Dropping them would be
pure insanity (and commercial suicide).

Now, change the above and substitute in "0.0.0.0/0 ge /24" rather than
"202.0.0.0/8" and I don't think we've added any sanity.  We've just
picked an arbitrary range of prefixes, dropped them from our view of
the world, and broken connectivity to a whole bunch of legitimate
networks.  That would make me a bad netizen (and IMHO a nut case ;-)

David