[c-nsp] Growing BGP tables

Brian Feeny signal at shreve.net
Mon Nov 22 17:38:33 EST 2004

You just base it on statistics.

As you take in routes, you scan them against all previously taken in
routes, and if an aggregate exists that shares the
same next hop, you drop the current route.

Sure, if you took in routes from largest to smallest, you would be
screwed and out of memory, but they will come in at
different sizes, so you will hold a /24, and maybe 4000 routes later
you will see that /24 is part of a /16 that is learned,
so you drop the /24.  You don't take the entire table in and then
process it, you scan each route as it comes in against
what has already come in.

Brian

------
Brian Feeny, CCIE #8036, CISSP    	e: signal at shreve.net
Network Engineer           			p: 318.213.4709
ShreveNet Inc.             			f: 318.221.6612