RES: [c-nsp] Different Traffic thru BGP links

Ryan O'Connell ryan at complicity.co.uk
Tue Nov 23 19:15:08 EST 2004

On 24/11/2004 00:08, Rodney Dunn wrote:

>Can you be more specific with some baseline data you have?
>
>Netflow is done in the CEF path and is very optimized
>for speed and on hardware forwarding platforms it's
>done in hardware.  It does take more cycles on a software
>forwarding platform and based on the hardware architecture
>it may or may not decrease performance on hardware
>based forwarding platforms.

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

It's analysing the data once it's exported that requires lots of CPU -
i.e. server CPU cycles, not router ones. I've seen very little impact
enabling Netflow on a router.

--
         Ryan O'Connell - CCIE #8174
<ryan at complicity.co.uk> - http://www.complicity.co.uk

I'm not losing my mind, no I'm not changing my lines,
I'm just learning new things with the passage of time