RES: [c-nsp] Different Traffic thru BGP links

Zaheer Aziz zaziz at cisco.com
Tue Nov 23 20:38:40 EST 2004

At 05:07 PM 11/23/2004 -0200, BRA-SAO-Tomaiz,Anderson Goncalves wrote:
>Well..I'm gonna try to explain better. Tell me if I'm not clear again ;)

Now I have a much better picture of your network. I have to work with few
assumptions/questions

1)your customers are not on the same router where Provider A and B are
2)On the box where you have Provider A and B, are there other external
connections?
3)Your demandy Customer is connected to router name C1 and Provider A and B
are connected on
    router P

You are absolutely right about using PBR as a solution but expensive one.
Architecturaly there
are two other solutions I can think of

1)Use of MPLS to change forwarding behavior other than best route in your
routing table
2)Encapsulate your traffic in another header (GRE) that you can direct over
desired link

1) may not be possible because if MPLS network ends at your router C, you
can control how traffic
comes from P to C using MPLS but cant control how to choose Link 02 and not
Link 01 to reach customer.
Until you run Inter-AS MPLS TE
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1829/products_feature_guide09186a008026468c.html#wp1027129
In this case you would have to make sure that traffic on P goes on Inter-AS
TE Tunnel which traverses Link02.

Caveate:
         - All traffic from router P(including Provider A and B) will take
this tunnel to reach Customer Link 02.
         - TE Tunnel configuration in your and customers network

2)Here is my simple solution

         - Run GRE tunnel from router P to Customer router(actual customer
router and not C1)
         - run EBGP on that Tunnel
         - Announce Customer prefixes on that EBGP session running on the
tunnel
         - On your C1 router create a static router for GRE tunnel end
point to use Link 02

Caveate:
         -All traffic from router P(including Provider A and B) will take
this tunnel to reach Customer Link 02
         - GRE configuration on Customer router.

I Hope this helps and I dont see any solution other that PBR

Thanks
Zaheer