[c-nsp] tftp IOS image using 3CServer

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Wed Nov 24 20:32:32 EST 2004

At 02:20 PM 11/24/2004, John Kristoff wrote:
>On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 19:14:30 -0000
>"Nic McCartney" <nic at gblx.net> wrote:
>
> > I have been trying to get a 19Mb IOS image onto a router using
> > 3CServer. EVERYTIME it cans out at 16773120 bytes. It is really
> > wierd, this it to different routers, different slots, different
> > PCMCIA cards and types (e.g ata and the other type). Is there some
> > limitation or something causing this.
>
>I ran into a problem similar to this awhile back.  There is a 32 MB
>file size limitation with tftp as I recall, but even worse, some
>implementations are apparently using a signed int somewhere so that
>the limitation is actually half that, or 16 MB.  If you can get the
>code there another way (e.g. ftp, rcp, flash card) that would work
>around the limitation.  Having scp would also be nice, but that is
>not available for most systems if at all on any IOS box yet.

I've always read in various Cisco books that TFTP was limited to 16MB and
I've experienced that with the TFTP daemon that we use, although it's
rather old. I have heard of people using different TFTP servers with
success and files that are 16MB+ but I typically just use FTP if it's
larger than 16MB which works fine for me. :)

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
Server Management
vinny at tellurian.com
(973)300-9211 x 125
(973)940-6125 (Direct)
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary and
those that don't.