[c-nsp] tftp IOS image using 3CServer

Tim Franklin tim at colt.net
Thu Nov 25 05:49:21 EST 2004

cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net wrote:

> I've always read in various Cisco books that TFTP was limited to 16MB
> and I've experienced that with the TFTP daemon that we use, although
> it's rather old. I have heard of people using different TFTP servers
> with success and files that are 16MB+ but I typically just use FTP if
> it's larger than 16MB which works fine for me. :)

The problem arises from the fact that TFTP uses 16-bit sequence numbers on
the blocks, and doesn't have any mechanism for wrapping them.  Block are 512
bytes, so you either get 16M (32K blocks) or 32M (64K blocks), depending on
whether your daemon believes the sequence number is signed or unsigned.

'copy http://my.internal.server/image.bin flash:' is very much your friend
:)  Not even the password fun associated with FTP...

Regards,
Tim.

____________   Tim Franklin                 e: tim at colt.net
\C/\O/\L/\T/   Product Engineering Manager  w: www.colt.net
 V  V  V  V    Managed Data Services        t: +44 20 7863 5714
                                            f: +44 20 7863 5876