[c-nsp] Small, DC Router with 1WIC + 1NM

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Wed Nov 24 21:12:14 EST 2004

> I'm looking for a router to setup some out of band management for my
> SONET & M13 muxes.  I would like to install a POTS line at my colo bay
> and add DSL onto it (0' feet from the CO should qualify ;).

Word of warning: back in our Rhythms reselling days (remember the good ol'
days ;-), we turned up one customer that was literally across the street
from the CO -- maybe a 400' loop tops. The automated provisioning system
Rhythms used kept reporting an 'open' due to the short loop even though
there was nothing wrong with it. The DSLAM equipment didn't believe any
customer could be that close, and we had a lot of trouble getting the
circuit turned up.

> The router must be:
>
> Rack mounted (23")
> DC Power
> 1 WIC for ADSL
> 1 NM for 8,16 port 10/100 Switch module
> 1 NM for 8,16 port serial (RS232) module
> CHEAP,  this won't be generating any revenue just saving my a$$ on
> occasion

Sounds like something a 2620 could do. You can get an 8 port RS232 serial
NM for it, DC power, and a ethernet switch module. I'm not sure if you can
use the serial module and ethernet switch module at the same time without
moving up to something with more NM slots like a 36xx. I can't remember if
there is an 8 port serial WIC card or only an NM available, and the 2620
has 2 WIC slots but only 1 NM slot.

You can get the 26xx series used cheaply, and I frequently see DC power
supplies for them for about $10-20 on Ebay -- and those are new.

> Switch would connect to my network elements (CIsco ONS 15454, CAC
> Widebank 28 ....)
> Serial would connect to the console of all my devices
> DSL would run PPPoE back to my network so I can still talk to my box
> when my fiber gets cut.
>
> Any ideas?

Better solution: add another fiber entrance to your colo so that your
SONET gear can heal your ring(s) in the event of a fiber cut. This way you
don't need out of band (as much :-).

     -Bill