[c-nsp] Growing BGP tables

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Tue Nov 30 22:30:53 EST 2004

In thinking about this some more and I
missed some of the original discussions on this.
What were the most common deployment scenarios
where you would use this?

Single homed boxes or multi homed.

I'm trying to put it together in my head
how it would be done for dual EBGP sessions.

ie:

ISPA                    ISPB
 |                       |
RouterA  --- IBGP --- RouterB

Say I get a /16 and a /24 for a prefix from ISPA with
the same next hop so I wouldn't want to install the
/24.  But what happens if I get a /16 from ISPB and
that gets sent to RouterA.  That prefix would have
a next hop of Router B or ISPB so it would be a different
prefix and installed in the RIB.  Now the traffic that
was originally flowing to the /24 would take the backup
path (due to a longest match lookup) rather than the
path it would have taken if we had installed the original
/24. Would that be acceptable?

And we would have to think about if it would cause
any problems for prefixes you already have in the
RIB from your IGP.

Rodney