[c-nsp] 7200 vs. 7600

Ryan O'Connell ryan at complicity.co.uk
Mon Oct 4 15:32:54 EDT 2004

On 04/10/2004 18:52, F. David Sinn wrote:

> What Supervisor are you looking to use in your 7600?  That will
> determine some of the answers to your questions below.

Sup720-3BXL, specifically to start with:
C7609-SUP720XL-PS
WS-CAC-4000W-INT (Second PSU)
WS-X6548-GE-TX (For peering/transit connections and connections to
access-layer switches)
OSM-4OC3-POS-SI+ (For aggregation/leased line termination)

> The only one that is consistent is the re-use of dot1q tags.  Since
> the 7600 is a ethernet switch at heart, using the same tag on two
> interfaces puts them on the same broadcast domain.  Also, I don't
> believe that they have implement the physical sub-interface style of
> configuration for dot1q as the regular routers do, so you would have
> to migrate to VLAN interfaces to support dot1q (please correct me if
> this has been fixed).

Not sure I follow in terms of "VLAN interfaces"? Do you mean you can
only do:
interface GigabitEthernet1/1
  switchport
  switchport mode trunk
  switchport trunk allowed vlan 111,222
!
interface VLAN111
  ip address 111.111.111.111 255.255.255.0
!
interface VLAN222
  ip address 222.222.222.222 255.255.255.0

But not:
interface GigabitEthernet1/1
  no ip address
!
interface GigabitEthernet1/1.111
  encapsulation dot1q 111
  ip address 111.111.111.111 255.255.255.0
!
interface GigabitEthernet1/1.222
  encapsulation dot1q 222
  ip address 222.222.222.222 255.255.255.0

I can cope with that, as long as features such as BPDU filter are still
available on ports configured as switchports. (I.e. I don't want
customers/peering partners seeing BPDUs, CDP etc etc. and I don't want
them sending me similar and breaking things)

I've heard mention that the TCAM table on the 7600s can't handle a full
routing table - however, I've been unable to verify this so I suspect it
applies to Sup2s/MSFC2s and below only.