[c-nsp] 7200 vs. 7600

F. David Sinn dsinn at dsinn.com
Tue Oct 5 18:00:22 EDT 2004

So the Sup720 affords you the best set of options to do what you want.

You are correct about my comment on dot1q.  Not too sure about BPDU or
CDP filtering, as I haven't tried turning them off.

The Sup720 with the 3BXL will be more then capable to handle a full
route table in the TCAM on the PFC.  Just make sure you have enough
DRAM (128Meg's +) to handle multiple BGP feeds.  That being said, a
Sup2/MSFC2 can take full routes too, though not if you also want uRPF.
uRPF is also a PFC enabled feature, so you should be good there on the
3BXL.

Normal extended and named ACL are supported on the PFC and with the
3BXL you can get hit counters again.  Not sure what you were meaning by
more complex.

L2TP is not implemented on the PFC.  They have done GRE, so support for
L2TP shouldn't be too hard, but you will need to ask Cisco if they have
it on their roadmap.

Netflow can be an issue if you have too many flows, in that you can
blow out the Netflow TCAM cache.  I haven't tested the real to
advertised flow cache ability of a 3BXL, but have seen issues with the
PFC2 which has half as many entries.  Ad servers and others that lots
of tiny flows normally are the spots you will see this.

You will also be able to V6 and Multicast in hardware.  One careful
note:  Partial switched multicast flows are troublesome (especially
with OSM's) and result when the set of active interfaces don't share
the same MTU.  So if your WAN links have greater then 1500 MTU, punts
can ensue (along with other strangeness on the OSM).  It is cleanest to
have just 1500 byte MTU, but may not be doable in your environment.

Hope that helps.

David