[c-nsp] 7200 vs. 7600

Dale W. Carder dwcarder at doit.wisc.edu
Tue Oct 5 18:58:31 EDT 2004

On Oct 5, 2004, at 5:00 PM, F. David Sinn wrote:
> Netflow can be an issue if you have too many flows, in that you can
> blow out the Netflow TCAM cache.  I haven't tested the real to
> advertised flow cache ability of a 3BXL, but have seen issues with the
> PFC2 which has half as many entries.

What is the operational impact of overflowing the netflow table?  I
thought that netflow (on the sup2 and 720, which both use CEF) was only
used for netflow export, and IIRC, nat.

However, purging/expiring too many netflow entries does raise the cpu
load of the switch processor (this was the L3Aging process on CatOS,
don't recall what it is on IOS).

Dale