[c-nsp] VRF question

dave bernardi dave.bernardi at adelphia.net
Fri Oct 8 12:42:25 EDT 2004

So for those service providers running a (native?) MPLS backbone you'd likely carry your global internet routing table in a VRF where you could also set EXP bits to distinguish it from other services you provide, VoIP, L2/L3 VPN, etc., across the backbone. From what I can tell most IP features would still be available by the IP edge functionality of your router (7600 platform) even if it is also the PE, correct? Any thoughts on what features would be lost in this case as opposed to a separate PE and stand alone dedicated IP router for Internet service?

Depending on what IP features are lost it might be a better approach to run a hybrid MPLS backbone where you might leave Internet traffic as IP switched (untagged) and label switch L2/L3-VPNs, for example.

How many of you are running a native MPLS backbone and was the major determining factor VPN, QoS, or other?

-DaveB