[c-nsp] VRF question

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Fri Oct 8 14:30:16 EDT 2004

dave bernardi wrote:

> How many of you are running a native MPLS backbone and was the major
> determining factor VPN, QoS, or other?

I'm only running native MPLS in one POP (other POPs aren't Cisco yet).
We've got several target uses for it:

1) MPLS VPNs.  We partner with ISPs in various areas and let them sell
our voice services with their data.  Previously, we'd policy route the
traffic to them, which was an ugly solution.  Now, the VRF makes life
very neat and tidy.  We'll then be able to let the ISP offer services in
our other markets, which we don't allow right now (we require that they
have a presence in any market where they want to sell services).

2) MPLS Traffic Engineering.  We're big enough to have geographic
diversity, but not big enough to be able to easily manipulate IGP
metrics and rebalance traffic.  MPLS TE will be a cost saver once we get
the right hardware in place.

3) (This one's classifed.  Email me privately if you're curious.)

pt