[c-nsp] ATOM Basic Question

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Mon Oct 11 09:18:57 EDT 2004

Yasser,

>   You said " Replacing a legacy Frame-relay L2 service by ATOM ". What
> advantages for the provider/customer to use ATOM versus the legacy
> Frame-Relay L2 service?

well, in general it reduces the number of networks to be built/managed..
So it is often more a $$$ than a technical/feature decision..

>   I keep wondering about this because sometimes I think that
> keep providing isolated L2 services like Frame-Relay is more
> secure and reliable than offering it via MPLS.

The security argument is weak, and a reliable MPLS network is also able
to provide reliable L2 services.. Of course you can argue that two
separate networks are more reliable than a single one, but this comes at
a price...

> Your thoughts about practical implementations/advantages are highly
> appreciated.

I'd like to defer this question to the alias as I haven't really worked
with many customers on AToM, but the lack of full PNNI integration
(we're working on this) has been an issue with some deployments I'm
aware of..
On the other hand I'm seeing some customers moving to ATM over MPLS due
to a rather expensive bw upgrade path in their ATM core.. YMMV

	oli