[c-nsp] VRF question

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Mon Oct 11 09:45:17 EDT 2004

<snip>
 > Depending on what IP features are lost it might be a better approach
 > to run a hybrid MPLS backbone where you might leave Internet traffic
 > as IP switched (untagged) and label switch L2/L3-VPNs, for example.

>There is no way to run some packages untagged and some tagged on the
>same interface. What you probably is thinking of is running the internet
>service in the global address space (one label) and L2/L3 VPNs on top of
>MPLS (two or more labels). This would work fine without any expansion of
>IP-adresses.
<snip>

Assuming you meant in your first sentence to say packets that's not
true.  You can easily have some tagged and some untagged packets
going out the same interface.  You could create a dual loopback
configuration with IPV4 peering and VPNV4 peering and then just
block tags from being advertised for the IPV4 sessions that
carry the internet routes.  That way your internet traffic is
never tagged in the core. I'm pretty sure that's the way some
customers did it when they didn't want their internet traffic
MPLS in the core.

Rodney