[c-nsp] VRF question

Marko Milivojevic markom at pangalactic.net
Mon Oct 11 11:08:50 EDT 2004

>  Just to make things more clear to me I would like to confirm something. I
> would like to confirm the usage of the command " mpls ip default-route ".
>
> Is this command to be applied on the router providing a gateway for other
> routers ?
>
> Does this command act as a replacement for using a default route in the
> LSR
> (P router) pointing to a certain destination as your gateway ?

    I think someone else a bit more experienced than I am should correct me
on this if I get it wrong.

    By default, IOS will not assign any tags for default route. Effectively,
all destinations not explicitly known at the edge LSR will not be tag
switched, but routed. If you have topology that can survive tag switching
default destinations (stub network), you can override this behaviour by
using the command above.

    If you are using MPLS L3 VPN's, I believe that this behaviour could
break things heavily, so you shouldn't rely on it.

Marko.