[c-nsp] ip route-cache

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Oct 14 13:18:19 EDT 2004

hi,

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 09:54:52AM -0700, Brian Vowell wrote:
> What about "ip route-cache flow"
>
> I've never used NetFlow, and am not very familiar with it.  I thought it
> was mostly for reporting, but some of the CCO docs make it sound more
> than that.  Is there any benefit on a single static route?

The switching paths available differ between IOS releases.  At some time
in the past, netflow was an actual switching path, while in recent IOS
releases, it's only used for reporting (except on 6500s with some SUPs, if
I understood that correctly).

What sort of box do you have, and which IOS version?

Generally speaking, "ip cef" (global) and "ip route-cache cef" (on each
interface) is what you really want.  If your IOS is oldish, CEF might have
weird bugs.  In that case you definitely want "ip route-cache".

"no ip route-cache" is only necessary in very special conditions, usually
related to IOS bugs or debugging things.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de