[c-nsp] Advice Needed on CIsco Equipment

Kevin Graham mahargk at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 20:59:44 EDT 2004

> I will be bringing in 4 or 5 gig-e connections to the router and then
> sending a gig-e connection about 150 miles away to a Cisco 12060.
>
> I am looking for a recommendation on a Cisco router that will handle
> this. I need to have redundant engines and power supplies for this as
> well. It will be doing BGP with all connections.

If its all GE, then this would be a great fit for a 6500 (though
perhaps w/ just a Sup2 instead of 720 if cost is concern).

Otherwise, there's the much-overlooked 7304; using SPA's, you'll be
able to get 8+ GigE connections even with redundant RP's. The NSE-100
will handle those traffic loads with ease (and seems to have a better
history than PXF on the NSE-1) though you can still go w/ the NPE-G100
for a more traditional RP.