[c-nsp] Re: T1 circuits over OC3

Chris Boyd cboyd at gizmopartners.com
Tue Oct 19 15:20:07 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 14:03, Gert Doering wrote:
> Indeed, Frame Relay would work as well, if not better, here.
>
> Maybe the decision to use ATM and not FR for most of the gear was driven
> by the pre-existance of largish ATM clouds in many of the Telcos...

I think that the specification of ATM for ADSL predates the deployment
of large ATM networks.  The goal was to use ATM's QoS capabilities to
offer things like Internet access, voice services and cable
television/video on demand over the telco wirepairs.

--Chris (who listens to the MPLS chatter with a feeling of deja vu.)