[c-nsp] BGP Supression of RIB Failures prior to 12.2S

Brian Feeny signal at shreve.net
Wed Oct 20 17:36:58 EDT 2004

I am aware that in 12.2(25)S, you can suppress announcements of routes
that have RIB Failure, by using
"bgp supress-inactive"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1838/
products_feature_guide09186a008029ecdb.html

Prior to 12.2(25)S, correct me if I am wrong, but BGP would not forward
routes if they were essentially RIB
failures.  Why then, in 12.2(25)S would they make it the default to
announce rib failures, when I would think,
that 99.9% of the time, if the route is a rib failure then its probably
not something you want to be announcing,
yet you must actually configure "bgp supress-inactive" in order to have
it not announce the route.

I got bit by this.  I had some routes on a bgp peer that were rib
failures, but not causing me grief, I actually did
not know about them being failures.  I upgraded to 12.2(25)S, and next
thing you know, I had a half dozen
customers with some troubles from this.

Brian

------
Brian Feeny, CCIE #8036, CISSP    	e: signal at shreve.net
Network Engineer           			p: 318.213.4709
ShreveNet Inc.             			f: 318.221.6612