[c-nsp] device shows no link on 6509, but works on other switches

Burton Windle bwindle at fint.org
Fri Oct 22 10:54:14 EDT 2004

ok, this is odd.. we have a vendor with a weird device (PelcoNet 350) that
will not give us a link light (or pass traffic) when plugged into our
6509's WS-X6348-RJ-45 blade. If we try a Cisco VoIP phone or a regular
laptop, using the same cable into the same port, we get a link light and
traffic flows fine.

However, the Pelco device gets a link and passes traffic when plugged into
a Dell PowerConnect 2616 switch, or into an old 3com switch.

I have tried hard-setting duplex and port speed, but to no avail; we never
see a link light on either end, and the port status always shows as
'notconnect'. Any ideas?

5   48   WS-X6348-RJ-45      SAL0718CFZ1 Hw : 6.5
                                         Fw : 5.4(2)
                                         Sw : 6.4(10)
         WS-F6K-VPWR                     Hw : 2.0

Burton Windle                           bwindle at fint.org