[c-nsp] 7206 VXR L2TP Termination

Nick Shah Nick.Shah at aapt.com.au
Sun Oct 24 21:45:44 EDT 2004

Alex

Cisco recommends around 12-16K sessions on a NPE-G1 or 7301 (NPE-G1). We
run a very large wholesale DSL network, and I have seen that these
points do have a large impact on how many sessions you can terminate (or
multihop).

- Fragmentation
- terminating sessions vs. multihop sessions
- Usage (avg. DSL usage in Australia is around 15-20Kbits per sec)

Remember multihop sessions count as 2 x session. The ingress session
from LAC, and the forwarding session to the eventual LNS/HGW. So, in a
pure multihop scenario (all sessions multihop), running avg. throughput
of 15K, I have seen the G1 supporting 6K sessions (12K if terminating
all sessions directly) at 42% CPU. There is a fair bit of fragmentation
though.

A NPE-400 would do roughly half of it (if less fragmentation, you may be
able to go upto 7K)

NPE-300 is EOL, so I wont recommend using it.

Also, have a look at 7301 (G1), it runs the same processor as a 7206VXR
G1, and comes with 3 x GIG ports with 1 expansion slot.

Rgds

Nick