[c-nsp] Low end MPLS question

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Tue Oct 26 17:36:12 EDT 2004

>> 3750 with Advanced IP Feature Set will do MPLS, EoMPLS and MPLS VPNs.
>> Might be overkill if this is going to be plugged into the back of a
>> DSL
>> link though.
>>
>> 800 Series CPEs can do remote access to MPLS VPNs, but that feature
>> set
>> may not be flexible enough to act as a proper PE so you may need to go
>> up to a 1700/2600.
>
> The price is very important, since the alternative is to run few
> separate
> routers, each doing a PPPoE, but that does not scale very well when
> adding
> new networks.

Skip MPLS,  Run VRF with multiple PPPoE sessions over the same DSL
line.  if you are using Verizon DSL it is just a bridge Ethernet
segment back to your ATM UNI so you can have multiple PPPoE sessions,
attach them to separate VRFs along with a VLAN going out to a switch.

For truly 'el cheapo' I have connected multiple Linksys routers to a
hub which is connected to a single Westell DSL modem/bridge.  The
Linksys boxes all made separate PPPoE connections to my Redback.  I
think I was limited to 6 routers because  the Westell has an ARP cache
limit.  Each Linksys did NAT for the network and fought for bandwidth
over the DSL line.