[c-nsp] Low end MPLS question

Krzysztof Adamski k at adamski.org
Tue Oct 26 13:35:05 EDT 2004

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Jason Lixfeld wrote:

> Do you care what the link looks like to the customer?  Do they want it
> to look like an ethernet link which passes VTP, spanning-tree, etc or
> does that not matter?

In a perfect world I would like to pass all that traffic, but I can live
without it.

> SwitchA and SwitchB are customer owned/operated or provider
> owned/operated?

It would be operated by me (the provider)

> 3750 with Advanced IP Feature Set will do MPLS, EoMPLS and MPLS VPNs.
> Might be overkill if this is going to be plugged into the back of a DSL
> link though.
>
> 800 Series CPEs can do remote access to MPLS VPNs, but that feature set
> may not be flexible enough to act as a proper PE so you may need to go
> up to a 1700/2600.

The price is very important, since the alternative is to run few separate
routers, each doing a PPPoE, but that does not scale very well when adding
new networks.

> Is this "mini MPLS network" something that will be put into production
> as-is, or is this something that's just a proof of concept and the
> actual roll-out will look very different?

This is as close the the production as I could make it with out over
complicated my diagram. The backend (ie switchB) is the only place where
there would be changes.