[c-nsp] CEF wrong next hop

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Oct 27 10:11:17 EDT 2004

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 09:09:55AM -0300, Tim Devries wrote:
> Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
> IOS (tm) 7200 Software (C7200-P-M), Version 12.3(10), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

This is not an "upgrade" from 12.3(7)T, but actually going to a wholly
different IOS train (12.3 main), with lots less features and (usually)
also far less bugs.

As to the original issue: I've seen this effect in the past myself in
"some early version of 12.0S" - a not-directly-connected host ended
up in the ARP table of a router, and thus in the CEF table, packets
being forwarded directly onto the LAN, instead of to the correct
next-hop router.  I assume the problem happed because an ARP request
or ARP reply "leaked" across VLANs (so the router in VLAN x saw some
ARP packets related to the host in VLAN y), but I've never been able
to reproduce it on purpose.

gert
--
Gert Doering