[c-nsp] OC12 layer2 ?

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Wed Oct 27 19:27:24 EDT 2004

On Oct 27, 2004, at 6:58 PM, matthew zeier wrote:

> I need to run ethernet across an OC12.  Any clues as to what sort of
> gear I'd need at both ends?  Ideally I'd run an OC12 from a GSR to
> some box that acted like a switch/bridge.

Put an OC-12 POS card in the GSR and connect into an ONS 15454 OC-12
card.  Pop a ML series Ethernet switch card into the ONS and xconnect
the OC-12 into the POS port on the back of the ML card.   You can then
map VLANs over to the GSR.  The ML series has GigE on the front,  It is
essentially a 3550 on a card with 2 POS/RPR ports on the back end and 2
GigE on the front.

Put an OC-12 ATM card in the GSR and run it into an ATM switch and do
RFC1483 (Bridged Ethernet over ATM) out one or more GigE ports.

Put an OC-12 POS card into the GSR and connect to another OC-12 POS
card in another GSR/7304/7600.