[c-nsp] Cisco 3640 Memory leak problem

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Thu Oct 28 03:57:37 EDT 2004

Jordan,

> I have a memory problem on Cisco 3640. Recently we configured mrtg
> graphs for used/free memory and realised that the Processor Used
> memory is constantly increasing. In about a month it causes the
> router to crash and after restart it takes 4-5 MB less memory.
>
> The router is running 12.2(15)T9 IOS. It has 2 (out of 4) E1 PRI
> modules enabled, and H.323 gatekeeper running.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

periodically (like once a day, depending how fast the leak is) poll
"show proc mem" and check out which process' memory consumption
increases over time ("show proc mem sorted" sorts the output by
allocated mem).. If you have identified the process which leaks, gather
"show proc mem <pid>" periodically (where <pid> is the process id shown
in the first column of show proc mem) and give this info to TAC for
further analysis.. Alternative ways of troubleshooting this can be found
at http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/63/mallocfail.shtml

	oli