[c-nsp] Can Cisco 2600 be an access server ?

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Sat Oct 30 17:29:46 EDT 2004

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004, Aime wrote:

> I have a cisco 2600 with an "ASYNC 32A interface"
> installed in.
>
> Can i use it as an access server for dial-in ?.
> Let say i want to be a small isp.

You could, that's the way it was done in the early days.  You would need
a bunch of analog modems and phone lines.  Not very scalable and without
ISDN or T-1 you won't get above 28.8kbps.

It seems like just yesterday I was trying to work out how to keep stacks
of Practical Peripherals modems cool and deal with dozens of "wall bug"
power transformers.  My how time flies when you're having fun.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323      WB6RDV
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/