[c-nsp] What is The Best Configuration per Interface (CatalystSwitch 3500)?

Alexandra Alvarado aaaa at telconet.net
Sun Oct 31 01:44:23 EDT 2004

Hello,

I tried to set up static mac address on the Catalyst 3550 like this:

    mac address-table static 0007.50b7.3576 vlan 1 interface fastethernet
0/1

but I got this error:

switch1ops(config)#$mac address-table static 0007.50b7.3576 vlan 1 interface
fastethernet 0/6
Static address : 0007.50b7.3576 could not be added as it is already a secure
add
ress on Fa0/6

I think becuase I have the next config on the interface fastethernet 0/6:

 switchport port-security
 switchport port-security maximum 2
 switchport port-security violation restrict
 switchport port-security mac-address 0007.50b7.3576
 switchport port-security mac-address 0040.f446.147b

Then, to verify that the error message was for the port-security comands I
executed on the interface:

no switchport port-security mac-address 0007.50b7.3576
no switchport port-security mac-address 0040.f446.147b
shutdown

Then, I configure de mac address in static way like this:

    mac address-table static 0007.50b7.3576 vlan 1 interface fastethernet
0/6

And it works:

switch1ops#show mac-address-table interface fastEthernet 0/6
          Mac Address Table

Vlan    Mac Address       Type        Ports
----    -----------       --------    -----
   1    0007.50b7.3576    STATIC      Fa0/6
   1    0040.f446.147b    STATIC      Fa0/6
Total Mac Addresses for this criterion: 2
switch1ops#

But, when I recovered de port-security config on the interface:

 switchport port-security mac-address 0007.50b7.3576
 switchport port-security mac-address 0040.f446.147b

I lost the static state and returned the dynamic state for that mac
addresses:

switch1ops#show mac-address-table interface fastEthernet 0/6
          Mac Address Table

Vlan    Mac Address       Type        Ports
   1    0007.50b7.3576    DYNAMIC     Fa0/6
   1    0040.f446.147b    DYNAMIC     Fa0/6
Total Mac Addresses for this criterion: 2
switch1ops#

Thanks,

Alexandra Alvarado