[c-nsp] Dot1q Interface detect switchport failure

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Wed Sep 1 20:09:28 EDT 2004

Rodney,

  Thanks for passing on the info.   We use a Seranoa IPeX WANPort to
terminate our DS-1 circuits from customers.  The Seranoa maps the HDLC
frames to dot1q frames and sends them out a gigE port.  We use a 3550
with a bunch of interface vlans to terminate the IP packets from the
customer.  This setup works great with the only major problem being the
3550 can't see the DS-1 and therefore doesn't know when the DS-1 is
down.   We also provide DSL backup to our DS-1 customers.  We use a
Cisco 1721 to  terminate the DS-1 & DSL (PPPoE) sessions at the
customer end.  Customers that have DS-1 & DSL are mapped to a 7513 so
we can use rtr/SSA to manage their routes.  It works like a charm.  rtr
saves us from running OSPF with all of our customers.

Again,  thanks for the info,  eventually I'll have enough customers to
melt the 3550 and will upgrade to a 7609 or 12k

-Matt